Friday, February 6, 2015

What To Watch While Waiting For Ponies. Part 1 - OVER THE GARDEN WALL

Continuing my last post, me and my team put together this list of hand-picked series that are fun to watch and can fill the void left in your heart without ponies. Let me tell you how we chose these series- when I first watched My Little Pony, I got this great, pure feeling of wonder and awe that I still remember until today. Since then, I've always looked for series which had a similar vibe, and most of the series here are like that, though  some of them are just light-hearted easy-going ones!
Note: these are my personal picks, so feel free to add or remove stuff to the list! Oh, and I decided to dedicate a post per series, because some of them deserve a lot of thought!
Lets dive into dem series!
 Over the Garden Wall (Tome of the Unknown) 



A mini series created by Patrick McHale in 2013. It focuses on two brothers - Greg (Collin Dean) and Wirt (Elijah Woods) who happen to be lost in the woods called The Unknown. With the help of Beatrice the Bluebird and other characters, the boys try to get home and escape the mysterious Beast. Over the Garden Wall is an amazing clash of fantasy and reality, fear and peace, it sets a tone of urgency and serenity at the same time without sticking to any specific time period.
 It sounds a bit "meh" but trust me, these were the best 10 episodes of my life! Over the Garden Wall is an amazing complication of simple but mind-blowing animation, emotional and deep storyline and fascinating soundtrack that you will absolutely fall in love! That's why Over the Garden Wall is at the top of my list. It's the perfect blend of the innocent, child-like world which throws us back into childhood and scary reality, anxiety and fears we all get sometimes. The same thing can be said about My Little Pony- it seems to be an innocent cartoon about ponies running errands and facing little equine problems, but if you look deeper you see that those innocent problems actually have deeper meaning and the questions and morals this cartoon raises are anything but childish. All in all, check out Over the Garden Wall because you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment